Uniforms and Equipment
GLOA Uniform Requirements
Uniform items shall be in good repair with no rips, tears, or holes.
All uniforms shall be free of dirt, stains, and fading. Shoes shall be cleaned and polished.
All uniforms shall fit properly.
Officials paired together for a specific game shall coordinate uniforms pre-game and wear the same uniform on the field as determined by the Referee.
Required Uniform Items
- Officials’ hat (black baseball style cap with white piping)
- Two Lacrosse officials’ shirts (one long sleeve and one short sleeve) each equipped with GLOA and GHSA patches. Officials’ shirts should have 1 inch vertical black/white stripes with black collar and black cuffs and a pocket on the left breast
- White Cotton shorts (minimum 6 inch inseam) * note that black shorts are preferred and white will be phased out during the 2012 season. Beginning in January, 2013, black shorts only.
- Black leather belt (1 1/4 – 2 inches in width) with plain buckle
- White Socks with 4 inch solid black tops * note that short black socks are preferred and the tall socks will be phased out during the 2012 season.
- All black officiating shoes with black laces. Cleats are not required, but may be worn on natural grass surfaces. (Officials may use a black permanent marker or “shoe black” to color over logos, stripes, or other designs on shoes.)
Optional Uniform Items
- Solid Black nylon rain pants – no white side piping. (Sweatpants are not allowed.)
- Black t-shirt or turtleneck. (Any visible undergarments must be black.)
- One-inch vertically striped black/white officials’ jacket (if worn for cold games). Reversible jacket recommended. (Patches are not applied to referee jacket)
- Gloves (if worn for cold games) shall be solid black
- Striped, short sleeve mesh shirt (for warm games)
- Official’s Nylon Rain Hat (for foul weather games
- White Compression shorts (for those really big games)
Added 2/28/2011: New Optional Uniform Items*
Note that these items will be standard beginning in January 2013.
- Black cotton shorts (minimum 6 inch inseam)
- Short black socks
*Crews are required to wear coordinated uniforms
- Two Black Fox-40 whistles. Finger whistles are recommended.
- Two center weighted yellow penalty flags (15?x15?).
- Small black six foot (6?) tape measure.
- Coin (Half-dollar size or larger).
- Lacrosse 20-second timing device.
- Lacrosse scorecard and pencils.
- Digital Wrist Watch (to properly time timeouts).
- All black equipment bag.
- Shoe polish and brush for shoes.
All GLOA officials’ shirts shall include these two patches:
- GLOA Shield Patch shall be centered on the right sleeve two inches below the shoulder seam.
- GHSA Patch shall be centered on the left sleeve two inches below the shoulder seam.
Patches may either be sewn or applied to the uniform using Velcro.
Online Referee Uniform/Equipment Stores:
GLOA does not endorse any of these merchants, these links are provided for convenience only:
Black shorts are readily available at Kohl’s and other department stores.