Since the late 1980s, USA Lacrosse has offered the LAREDO (LAcrosse REferee DevelOpment) Program in order to provided training and professional development opportunities for officials. US Lacrosse hosts these events at regional lacrosse tournaments and camps. Officials work high level games and are observed and receive both instruction and feedback from experienced trainers. Interested officials should apply at either link below and notifications go out at least 1.5 months ahead of the clinic start date to allow enough time to secure travel and lodging. These are great ways to raise your game to the next level.
LAREDO Level 2 and 3
All clinics use NFHS rules. It is expected that officials know the rules and mechanics, are in shape, willing accept constructive criticism and work on incorporating recommendations into their game.
- Level 2 clinics are designed for 2-person mechanics and are geared toward officials looking to develop their skills and become stronger overall officials. These clinics combine classroom training with a heavy emphasis on repeated on-field observations for immediate, actionable feedback from the clinicians.
- Level 3 clinics are designed for 3-person mechanics and more advanced levels of play. These clinics combine classroom training and challenging on-field observations that emphasize proper positioning and a focus on key areas of responsibility. The registration fee for a LAREDO 3 clinic after receiving an invite is $100.
All trainees receive daily verbal feedback from clinicians, written feedback in a timely manner after event and free US Lacrosse merchandise.
Check out these two blog posts for more information on what to expect:
The registration fee for a LAREDO clinic is $175.
Officials DO NOT receive game fees.
In order to apply for a LAREDO, you must be:
- USA Lacrosse Member
- Recommended by local assigner
- In shape
- Know the NFHS rules and mechanics
- Willing to listen, learn and apply feedback
At the moment, the ONLY Men’s official clinic posted is Vail (see below). This post will be updated if more clinics are planned.
UNC LAREDO 2
Marty Joyner, USA Lacrosse Director of Men’s Officials Training, will be coordinating the event with Coach Breschi from UNC High School Team Camp and Showdown. This is a great event and Joe and his staff do an incredible job of supporting officials during the camp. Please see this link to register.
- Dates – Friday, July 22-Monday, July 25, 2022
- Friday – 4-5 pm Check-In
- Monday – 12 noon Check-Out
- Fee – $175
- Includes the Following:
- Dorm Housing (may stay on your own at your own expense)
- Dining Hall Meals
- Top-Level Classroom Instruction
- Detailed Clinic Binder
- USA Lacrosse Hat
- Top-Level On-Field Evaluation and Instruction
- Approximately Ten, 1-Hour Games Over 3 days for Evaluation
- Final Event Evaluation
- Includes the Following:
- Clinic Participants Requirements
- Desire to Learn and Improve!
- USA Lacrosse Membership
- Physical Ability to Officiate 4-5, 1-hour games per day (with substantial breaks)
- Full Uniform (2″ or 1″ stripes OK)
- Recommendation of Local Assignor OR Active NILOA (college) Official
- 3-Man Experience or Completion of USA Lacrosse Level-3 Online Requirements (less field evaluation)
- Current Level 2 Certification
- Active USA Lacrosse Membership with Official participation
- Annual Professional Development Course
- Annual Online Rules Exam
For any questions, please email Marty Joyner, USA Lacrosse Manager of Men’s Officials Development. ([email protected])
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the board.