It is important to look professional. You do not need to spend a lot of money to do so. If you are a new official, focus on the key pieces: good hat and shirt and a pair of black shorts. You can always add to
your collection. All uniforms should fit properly, be clean and in good shape (with no rips, tears, or holes).
Based on the NFHS Rules and GHSA policy (see below), uniforms worn by game officials MUST be identical.
The board would hope that Referees work with their crew to make a diplomatic decision as to what to wear. Making sure everyone is comfortable is essential in getting the best effort and focus from the crew during a contest. We ask that the Referee be flexible; with that being said, the Referee has the final say.
Again, the goal is for all to be dressed identically i.e. Long black undershirts are acceptable under short sleeves ONLY if all officials wear them. Jackets will be worn ONLY if ALL officials wear them.
It is imperative the crew communicate prior to the game what the expectations are for the contest and make sure to bring ALL of your equipment should game conditions change. If you do not have a required piece of equipment, be sure to let the rest of your crew know. Many of the more experienced officials have extra gear that you can borrow.
NFHS Rule 2-5 Art 3 states that “The uniform should fit properly and be clean and neat. All officials working the game are to be dressed the same.”
Officials Guidelines on the GHSA website UNIFORM STANDARDS echos the NFHS rules: “Officials are required to adhere to the uniform policy of the respective sport/contest in which they are involved. Officials should always dress in an appropriate manner to and from each game assignment. Officials are expected to adhere to acceptable grooming standards and are not allowed to use tobacco of any fashion upon arrival at the game site, during the game/contest, and until they are away from the venue. Officials within a crew are required to wear identical uniforms items. Exception: Baseball/softball plate umpires.”
At the end of this post you will find links to online vendors as well as a local store to make your purchases.
Regular Season GHSA Uniform
The uniform requirements the regular season for includes:
- Striped Shirts (2-inch vertical black/white stripes with black collar and black cuffs and a pocket on the left breast; long sleeve and short sleeve), GHSA logo above breast pocket and US flag on left shoulder.
- The one-inch striped shirt is acceptable for non-GHSA contests.
- Undershirt Solid black t-shirt or turtleneck.
- Any visible undergarments must be black.
- Shorts Solid black with belt loops, no mesh lacrosse or basketball shorts.
- Shoes All black; mark out any white logos or swooshes with a black marker – shined. Cleats are not required, but may be worn on natural grass surfaces. Many of our officials wear turf shoes or basketball shoes on turf fields.
- Socks All black ankle socks. No calf length or no-see-ums.
- Belt 1 1/4 – 2 inches in width, solid black with a plain buckle.
- Hat (black baseball style cap with white piping)- be sure to always have a nice hat!
- Mask or gaiter, all black (if worn on field)
- Fox 40 Finger Whistle (spare optional)- a lanyard whistle may be used for faceoffs.
- Digital Wrist Watch Must have countdown timer function.
- Flags Two yellow with black tip.
- Scorecard May use a plastic one or a paper one you print out or use an index card.
- Pencil Golf or library pencil is fine. May purchase “bullet pencil” from officials store.
- Coin (Half-dollar size or larger). GLOA coins are available to members who have worked two full seasons.
- 6’ Mini Tape Measure small, not the Bob the Builder size, but at least 6 feet.
- 20-second Timer There are 2 types: the 20 second timers and the 1:40/20 second timers, the later is great for managing time outs and time between periods.
- Coaches Certification Cards GLOA cards are available to officials who are assigned as Referees; email email@example.com if you need more or you may download a PDF on the Resources page.
Optional Uniform & Equipment
These are things you may want to keep in your bag particularly in you are working in an area where Lacrosse is a just getting started.
Check out the post on optional and required equipment: “Essential Equipment.”
- Jacket All black.
- Long Pants All black rain pants with belt loops. No white stripe or GHSA logo.
- Gloves All black.
- Gear Bag You use a men’s toiletry bag (aka Dop Kit) for all your whistles, flags, cards and coins. Gear bags embroidered with your name and the GLOA logo are available
- Whistle Bag (Small bag for flags, whistles etc.)
- Magic Eraser
- Zip Ties
If you are officiating a non-GHSA event, you should NOT wear a GHSA logo.
You may wear your 1-inch striped shirt with GLOA logo or a US Lacrosse Patch on the left shoulder. The top of the patch should be roughly 3 inches down from the shoulder seam.
American Flag patches are optional for non GSHA contests. They should be located directly above the pocket on the left breast.
Summer and Fall Uniform
GLOA summer shirt and the white GLOA hat for off-season games.
Youth officials are more than welcome to purchase the green shirts to work GLOA games in the summer and fall.
These may be purchased through the GLOA online gear store.
Summer shirts do run small, so you may want to order a size larger than you normally wear. New adult officials who work summer games will be reimbursed for a shirt at the end of the summer season.
If you need have questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Uniform & Equipment Stores
You can often find package deals if you are just starting out. Shorts and socks can be found at discount stores like WalMart,Target, TJ Max or Bealls.
There is on store in Atlanta that we know of that sells officials gear.
Four Seasons Sporting Goods
5309 Old National Highway
College Park, GA 30349
We buy most of our equipment online: