It is important to look professional. You do not need to spend a lot of money to do so. If you are a new official, focus on the key pieces: good hat and shirt and a pair of black shorts. You can always add to your collection. All uniforms should fit properly, be clean and in good shape (with no rips, tears, or holes).
Officials paired together for a specific game shall coordinate uniforms pregame and wear the same uniform on the field as determined by the Referee.
Below you will find what to buy, where to buy it and info on where your patches should go. You can also check out The GLOA Gear page for information.
Regular Season Uniform
The uniform requirements the regular season for includes:
- Stripped Shirts (1 inch vertical black/white stripes with black collar and black cuffs and a pocket on the left breast; long sleeve and short sleeve)
- Undershirt Solid black t-shirt or turtleneck. Any visible undergarments must be black.
- Shorts Solid black with belt loops, no mesh lacrosse or basketball shorts.
- Shoes All black; mark out any white logos or swooshes with a black marker – shined. Cleats are not required, but may be worn on natural grass surfaces.
- Socks All black ankle socks. No calf length black socks.
- Belt 1 1/4 – 2 inches in width, solid black with a plain buckle.
- Hat (black baseball style cap with white piping)- always have a nice hat!
- Fox 40 Finger Whistle (spare optional)
- Digital Wrist Watch Must have countdown timer function.
- Flags Two yellow with black tip
- Scorecard May use a plastic one or a paper one you print out or use an index card.
- Pencil Golf or library pencil is fine. May purchase “bullet pencil” from officials store.
- Coin (Half-dollar size or larger). GLOA coins are available to members who have worked two full seasons.
- 6’ Mini Tape Measure Not the Bob the Builder size!
- 20-second Timer There are 2 types: the 20 second timers and the 1:40/20 second timers, the later is great for managing time outs and time between periods.
- Coaches Certification Cards GLOA cards are available to officials who are assigned as Referees; email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need more or you may download a PDF on the Resources page.
If you are officiating a GHSA sanctioned contest you should have a GHSA patch on your left shoulder (GHSA is never right 😉 and your GLOA patch on the right shoulder. You should not wear a GHSA patch when working non-GHSA events.
The top of the patch should be roughly 3 inches down from the shoulder seam.
American Flag patches are optional. They should be located directly above the pocket on the left breast.
DO NOT wear the GLOA and the USL patch on the same shirt.
These are things you may want to keep in your trunk, particularly in you are working in an area where Lacrosse is a just getting started. Check on this post as to what you might want to have.
- Jacket Stripped; note that officials who work college games will have all black jackets.)
- Long Pants All black rain pants with belt loops.
- Gloves All black.
- Gear Bag You use a men’s toiletry bag (aka Dop Kit) for all your whistles, flags, cards and coins.
- Whistle Bag (Small bag for flags, whistles etc.)
- Magic Eraser
- Zip Ties
Summer and Fall Uniform
Officials should wear the lime green GLOA summer shirt and the white GLOA hat for off-season games.
New officials receive on shirt and hat for free.
Please note that the summer shirts do run small, so you may want to order a size larger than you normally wear.
If you need replacements or extras, email email@example.com.
Uniform & Equipment Stores
You can often find package deals if you are just starting out. Shorts and socks can be found at discount stores like WalMart,Target, TJ Max or Bealls.
There are two stores in Atlanta that we know of that sells officials gear.
Four Seasons Sporting Goods
5549 Old National Highway
College Park, GA 30349
We buy most of our equipment online: