Since the late 1980s, theUS Lacrosse has offered the LAREDO (LAcrosse REferee DevelOpment) Program in order to provided training and professional development opportunities for officials. US Lacrosse hosts these events at regional lacrosse tournaments and camps. Officials work high level games and are observed and receive both instruction and feedback from experienced trainers. Interested officials should apply at either link below and notifications go out at least 1.5 months ahead of the clinic start date to allow enough time to secure travel and lodging. These are great ways to raise your game to the next level.
Check out these two blog posts for more information on what to expect:
In order to apply for a LAREDO, you must be:
- US Lacrosse Member
- Recommended by local assigner
- In shape
- Know the NFHS rules and mechanics
- Willing to listen, learn and apply feedback
LAREDO Level 2 and 3
All clinics use NFHS rules. It is expected that officials know the rules and mechanics, are in shape, willing accept constructive criticism and work on incorporating recommendations into their game.
- Level 2 clinics are designed for 2-person mechanics and are geared toward officials looking to develop their skills and become stronger overall officials. These clinics combine classroom training with a heavy emphasis on repeated on-field observations for immediate, actionable feedback from the clinicians. The registration fee for a LAREDO 2 clinic is $100.
- Level 3 clinics are designed for 3-person mechanics and more advanced levels of play. These clinics combine classroom training and challenging on-field observations that emphasize proper positioning and a focus on key areas of responsibility. The registration fee for a LAREDO 3 clinic after receiving an invite is $100.
All trainees receive daily verbal feedback from clinicians, written feedback in a timely manner after event and free US Lacrosse merchandise. Officials DO NOT receive game fees.
Costs may be defrayed by the GLOA through the Kevin Moore Fund. If you have been accepted and would like to request funds to help cover the cost of attending, email Bill Powell at email@example.com.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the board.